Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Three Country Gifts

   One thing I have noticed since I have moved to Georgia is that people are always giving you fresh produce. Since we moved here we have gotten corn, watermelons, squash and more. The community garden I joined provided cucumbers, squashes, herbs and snap beans. Now that my husband goes to people's houses for his new job they give him things too. He came home the other day and told me had three things for me. One was a fresh lemon. I have never had a fresh lemon. Years ago we tried to grow a miniature citrus tree and the lemons got to be quarter size and fell off. The lemon  was still a little green on one side so I thought I was smart setting it in the sun to finish ripening. When I looked it up on line I discovered that once you pick lemons they don't ripen anymore. That's ok because I was determined to use it anyway.
     The second thing he gave me was a bag of jalapenos and habaneros. We love hot peppers so I had to figure out how I would use these too. I took a little sliver off the tips to see how hot they were. They tasted like green peppers. I told my husband they weren't hot at all which I could not understand. It turns out I just did not take enough of a sliver because I did not even get to the hot part. They definitely were hot.
    The last thing he gave me was a dead bee. Yes, I said a dead bee. My husband thought I would love a dead bee and he was absolutely right. I will add it to my insect collage that I am making. Insects are just so pretty it's a shame to let their dead bodies go to waste. But I will save that story of how I started an insect collage for another day. I'm glad my husband knows me well enough to know that I love the little things in life like insects and produce. I guess he did learn something after 16 years.
    


No comments:

Post a Comment